The picture below shows the tools & the setup I am using. The aim of this setup is to give me a semi-automatic analysis environment that occasionally can run stand-alone trading execution.
- Data: yahoo.com. It’s free and used by many. Yes I am aware of some data accuracy problems, however have come across none yet myself. I am running on Monthly, Weekly or Daily Open & Close prices.
- Broker: Interactive Brokers (IB) as they offer cheapest transaction fees and include a free API for their TWS software.
- Cockpit: MS Excel to control the flow of information and to “glue” the system together. I have started with a “sample TWS-DDE link” excel sheet that comes with IB API. From this I have added VBA code to control most steps in semi-automatic trade execution.
- Analysis: Amibroker (AB) as the working horse. Lightning fast and a very powerful programming language (AFL). For advanced statistical analysis I plan to use the R-DLL link that is available to AB registered users
- Quotes: Amiquote (AQ) fits seamlessly with AB and allows for 100% auto downloads from Yahoo.com & import into AB
If you have any question about the setup, just let me know. I am happy to expand on my choices/experiences. As my Cockpit is still work-in-progress I will not yet upload. However if you are willing to receive the current version, send me an email at quantingdutchman -at- hotmail -dot- com.